ATTENTION:
I've set up this simple forum as a back-up for the 3G community on Preludepower.com

For ease of use you can quickly log in using your Facebook account, up there /\ OR just register an account like usual.

Help Needed!!

General '88 - '91 Prelude Discussion
Trussell435 United States of America
Mood:

Help Needed!!

Post by Trussell435 » 12 Jan 2018, 05:01

Alright so i got a niceish 91 prelude for 600$ with a JDM B20A and a 88 D2J4 tranny, The car runs good,idling where it should and smooth power band as you rev it and drive it, but it has some issues, The tranny is leaking from the passenger cv axle seal, and the speedo cuts in and out and it needs new suspension and bushings on the sway bars, its also throwing Codes 5-map sensor 6-ect sensor 12-egr lift sensor 17 vss and 41-primary oxygen sensor, Any help with where to find parts or how to fix some of this stuff would be very much appreciated.

MustardCat
Site Admin

Re: Help Needed!!

Post by MustardCat » 12 Jan 2018, 06:32

Axle leak - Someone posted about this on Facebook. Apparently the seals are different between 88-89 and 90-91. The 90-91 pass. axle wont stay fully seated in the D2J4. They said they used a 90-91 axle seal instead of 88-89.

Speedo - The 90-91 speed sensor assembly will not bolt onto a D2J4 case, it is probably just pushed in there. Make sure it is fully seated and not popping out. If you get a spare 88-89 speed sensor it is possible to disassemble both types and then build a hybrid one from the parts. This one will bolt onto the D2J4 case securely. It could also just be a problem with the electrical portion of the sensor. I've heard ones from 90-93 Accords will work, but the mount holes are different so they be completely secured. (Finding sensors from a Prelude is starting to get hard.)

Suspension - If you need to replace everything anyways you should go with polyurethane bushings. I have a video on it here: https://youtu.be/Ch8X2tkKp0g In the description for the video I list part numbers and quantities of the bushings used. Additionally this thread lists all the bushings you can get: http://www.prelude3g.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13

Codes - Those are a lot of codes and some important components as well. The ECU has a memory and saves them, they could be ones saved from previous problems. I would first pull the "clock" fuse from the underhood relay box for 30 seconds to clear the ECU memory then drive the car to see if they all come back.
You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head. You buy them with your heart because you love them, and who can explain love?
VISIT PRELUDE3G.COM ON FACEBOOK
VISIT THE PRELUDE3G.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Trussell435 United States of America
Mood:

Post by Trussell435 » 12 Jan 2018, 17:45

Ill clear the codes and see what happens.so i should just go with a 91 seal?, and id like to do poly bushings but i dont think ill have enough money after the suspension, do they still sell rubber ones anywhere? Thank you for the help!!

MustardCat
Site Admin

Post by MustardCat » 12 Jan 2018, 18:59

That is just what I saw someone post on facebook about the seal, I haven't personally verified it (Actually I was under the impression the seals were different sizes and couldn't be swapped). You might want to buy one for 88-89 and 90-91 then see which one fits.

Yes you can still get rubber bushings from www.rockauto.com - Here is a 5% discount code from preludepower that you can use: 6EC65B782B46F0 Enter it in the "How did you hear about us" field in the cart. They also sell the axle seals as well.