ATTENTION:
I've set up this simple forum as a back-up for the 3G community on Preludepower.com

For ease of use you can quickly log in using your Facebook account, up there /\ OR just register an account like usual.

B21A1 won't rev high somtimes(?)

General '88 - '91 Prelude Discussion
CrazyStorm

B21A1 won't rev high somtimes(?)

Post by CrazyStorm » 01 Jan 2019, 20:16

I have a 1991 Prelude Si B21A1 manual trans, brand new spark plugs and brand new distributor cap and rotor.

I'll try to make this as short as possible, basically, only sometimes (usually after driving for 2-10 minutes, but sometimes right when you try to drive it for the first time, varies) when slowly increasing the throttle, the rpms will slowly increase as normal. BUT when it gets anywhere between 2-3k rpms, the rpms will drop to stalling out, or almost stalling out, while still increasing the throttle, even flooring it. Idle is steady and normal, sometimes it will drive fine. The sparkplugs, distrubtor cap and rotor were replaced after the issue was discovered to see if that was a simple solution, but the problem persists. Sometimes when the rpms reach 2-3k rpms and the problem is actually happening, the battery light will twinkle right as the rpms begin to fall. If, when the rpms are still in the process of falling and you're still on the throttle, you remove your foot from the throttle entirely, the rpms will catch itself at idle and it won't nearly stall out.

The problem is especially weird because sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I took it to a family friend master mechanic and let him play around with it for a few days and he ended up just giving it back to me because he couldn't recreate the issue.

MustardCat
Site Admin

Re: B21A1 won't rev high somtimes(?)

Post by MustardCat » 01 Jan 2019, 21:59

Does the check engine light come on?

I would start by checking all the grounds. After that I would probably look at the igniter.
You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head. You buy them with your heart because you love them, and who can explain love?
VISIT PRELUDE3G.COM ON FACEBOOK
VISIT THE PRELUDE3G.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL

CrazyStorm

Post by CrazyStorm » 01 Jan 2019, 22:32

MustardCat wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 21:59
Does the check engine light come on?

I would start by checking all the grounds. After that I would probably look at the igniter.
It has a check engine light with the code 41, "Oxygen Sensor Heater".

MustardCat
Site Admin

Post by MustardCat » 01 Jan 2019, 23:20

Well in that case I would replace the O2 sensor first and see if that helps.
You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head. You buy them with your heart because you love them, and who can explain love?
VISIT PRELUDE3G.COM ON FACEBOOK
VISIT THE PRELUDE3G.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL